Instagram has announced that it’s rolling out an update worldwide that means any video up to 15 minutes long will go out as a Reel (not a post) and will appear in the Reels feed. To quote Instagram …
“Since reels offer a more immersive and entertaining way to watch and create videos on Instagram, we’re bringing the full-screen experience to your video posts, too. In the coming weeks, new video posts shorter than 15 minutes will be shared as reels. Videos posted prior to this change will remain as videos and won’t become reels.”
🎯 How will this work?
1. This will roll out in the next week or so but you could have it in your account already.
2. When you tap on + and select ‘post’ and then choose a video, if your video is less than 15 minutes it will tell you that your video will become a Reel. Your landscape or square video will then be auto resized to portrait (9:16)
3. Your video / Reel will go into the feeds of your followers but will also go into the Reels feed of non followers
🎯 How could it impact your marketing?
1. Even though you can technically create 15 minute Reels it’s still best to create short ones that keep peoples attention. Also, the algorithm favours videos that get a higher completion and repeat view rate
2. All your videos could now get more reach and engagement because if how the algorithm favours Reels and the exposure through the Reels feed.
3. Instagram is becoming more and more dominated by Reels. If you are not sure how to create them you should try and develop this skill over the next 6 months.
If you are a member of our online Digital Marketing School don’t forget that you can
• Watch part 1 of the updated Instagram marketing course (which includes Reels) on the members website
• Attend part 2 as a live Zoom course this Thursday
• Watch a full course covering how to make and use Instagram Reels